What's the buzz? Tell me what's happening.

For those of you who are out of the loop, I'm a major fan of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar. I pretty much grew up watching the 1973 film, starring Ted Neeley, the late Carl Anderson, Yvonne Elliman and Barry Dennen. The rock opera is quite a beautiful piece, composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. I can't say which song is my favorite, but I can certainly say I found some writing inspiration while listening to the music earlier today.

"What's the buzz? Tell me what's happening," is the opening line of the third song, fittingly titled, "What's the Buzz." 

In the song, the disciples are questioning Jesus
on what's going on. They're asking Him about His plans, ideas, thoughts...etc. Basically, the disciples are asking what any curious person would ask their leader. After repeatedly asking Christ what is happening, Christ sternly replies, "Why should you want to know? Don't you mind about the future. Don't you try to think ahead, save tomorrow for tomorrow. Think about today instead." (If you're interested in hearing the music, youtube "Jesus Christ Superstar What's the Buzz.")

So why did I bring this up? Does a musical really have anything to do with living a good life or being a decent Christian? In short, if I didn't have anything to say about it, I probably wouldn't be writing.

I think we often find ourselves constantly making plans for every little thing -- which is fine -- it's good to be organized and aware of what's going on. However, I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in the world of "constants," that we lose sight of what we should be focused on. I speak for myself when I say that I'm not a planner, but I do like to ask questions. Often, I find my questions leading to irrelevant answers. Or I find myself asking questions, just to ask questions. And when we ask questions with no true purpose, what's the point?

Is it vital to know every detail? Is it okay to not know and to have faith in someone or something leading us where we need to be? Listen, I'm not saying it isn't good to make plans, ask questions and to be organized. I'm simply asking the question of "where's the line" of separation between the important and unimportant things to worry about.

More often I feel as though thinking and worrying about today instead of tomorrow is the best thing to do. Naturally, I'll worry about a homework assignment that's due in a few days. But to ask the questions of where I'll be, who I'll meet and what I'll be doing are questions which cannot be answered. It's all part of the mystery of life.

Another line Jesus says in the musical during that song is:
"I could give you facts and figures.
Even give you plans and forgets.
Even tell you where I'm going.

Why should you want to know?
Why are you obsessed with fighting?
Times and fates, you can't defy.
If you know the path we're riding,
you'd understand it less than I."

By no means am I supporting the idea of Christ not understanding something. I'm sure there were times He didn't. However, the main point of the verse is to let go of worries which are uncontrollable.

It begs the questions:
 When is something exhaustive?
When is something good to worry about and question?
When is something bad to worry about and question?
Is questioning good? Is it bad?
Do we simply give it all up to God and trust in Him?
Do we not give it to God and do it all ourselves?

How can we be obedient and trusting in God, but still manage to work and function on our own?

And last but not least, are these questions even worth pondering?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...Well, I Suppose It Means Something.

Open-minded? Closed-minded? Brainwashed? Smart? Stupid?

A Thanksgiving Miracle