What's that even mean?

Hello readers! 


Todays post comes from a conversation I had with my mom a few weeks ago during breakfast. Specifically the part where my mom quotes one of her friends who said, "Being Roman Catholic isn't the same as having a personal relationship with Christ." This article isn't edited or revised... but I wanted to get something posted. Hope my candidness is honest and hopefully not overly brutal. 


I posted a status on Facebook with some immediate thoughts, so I will post the status here and simply elaborate on it. Here is it:


I got a huge laugh out of a brainwashed way of thinking when I heard this: "Being Roman Catholic isn't the same as having a personal relationship with Christ." Are you kidding me? Although the Catholic thing doesn't apply to me, I feel as though any religion which incorporates Structure, Tradition and over a thousand years of credibility is being bashed because these 'superstar' preachers don't like it. In case these 'superstar' preachers forgot, their cute little concert churches wouldn't be around if it weren't for the Structure and Tradition of Orthodoxy to keep Christianity 'in-tact', even during the most trying, difficult and dark times in world history. On behalf of the longest surviving and most ancient Christian Church, 'You're welcome.'


*If you feel you'll be offended or already have been offended, please leave my page now. Also, comments are welcome in the comments section. Anything profane or ignorant will be removed. 


Orthodox Church. Looks like something Holy.
Alright, so here I am with this Facebook post... which is full of truth, sarcasm and yes, pity. I admit, I'm not a perfect Christian... I struggle to pray, I struggle to be kind and I struggle to keep the commandments. By no means am I judging people, but rather, I'm questioning the justification in a thought process which seems to inhibit much of the Protestant world; non-denominational to be more specific. For the sake of this article, whenever I mention Protestantism, I am including non-denominational Christians. 


Alright. First, I'd like to point out that the woman who made the comment was raised Roman Catholic. (For the sake of this argument, I'm going to place Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy into the same category of Ancient/Traditional/Structured Christianity... which is probably a stupid thing to do...but I'm doing this because in comparison to modern Protestantism, Orthodoxy and Catholicism have a more sturdy foundation.) For someone who was raised in a structured/traditional church, I could understand how (as a child) one might not completely understand everything that's going on in the service... or even understand the basics in the Theology. Whereas one could walk into most protestant/non-denominational churches and get a basic grasp on what's going on. Is this a bad thing? Well, yes and no. It's not a bad thing because it's good for people to understand what's going on in church. It's a bad thing because the whole idea and concept of going to church has been reduced to sunday morning entertainment hour. 


Sure, Protestants (including non-denom Christians) can argue Catholics and Orthodox are idol worshipers due to veneration and use of holy images and crucifixes. Sure, they can argue Catholics and Orthodox just go through the motions of structured worship...and that lighting candles, blessing (crossing) one self, kneeling, confession (reconciliation)...or doing anything traditional isn't important. Sure, they can say Structure and Tradition mean nothing. And they can also say intercession of the saints and honor to the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) makes us pagans... But you know what? They're just speaking out of (pardon my bluntness) ignorance and misunderstanding. 


When one walks into a Roman Catholic or Orthodox Church, typically, one realizes they're in a sacred place. Typically one will walk into a Catholic or Orthodox church and they'll feel as if they're in Gods House. -WAIT!!! WHAT????? A CHRISTIAN CHURCH FEELING LIKE GODS HOUSE?!?!?!?!?! WHAT A STRANGE CONCEPT!!!!! I hope you're picking up on the sarcasm... I'm laying it on pretty thick. 


Random Protestant Church. Looks like a concert hall.
On the flip side, walk into some Protestant Churches... what do we see? Well, honestly, every church is different. Some of the churches are surprisingly 'traditional'. And some churches (specifically non-denom and Mega-Churches) look like concert venues. You know, those Churches that don't even have an altar...but have everything else, like: a full PA system, TV broadcasting system, big screen TVs, a full rock band (code named 'worship band'), an entire digitalized lighting system...and most importantly, a SUPERSTAR preacher. You know what I'm talking about. These average joes who never went to seminary, but have charisma, stage presence and can talk a lot of talk about the bible. (By no means do I intend to discredit people who study and live humble lives).  


Being spiritual comes down to opening ones heart to Christ. However, too often, preachers are preaching this dangerous idea of having a 'personal relationship with Christ.' The concept of a personal relationship turns Christianity into an individualistic religion. This individualism causes division in the Body of Christ, which is the opposite of what God wants. As Christians, we're called to be the Body of Christ, not to be individual decapitated body parts. The fatal mistake is encouraging the idea that going to church is nothing more than going to a building. The fatal mistake is encouraging the idea that all one needs is the bible. The fatal mistake is encouraging the idea that there's no need for structure or tradition. These things are fatal because they lead to the downfall of Christianity. 


To a point, I agree that gathering in a building isn't the point of 'Church'. However, there's a disagreement on what the building is and what it represents. I think most people would agree the "Church" isn't a building. The Church of Christ is the people of God. In Orthodoxy (and I'm sure Catholicism) the Church (building) isn't just a fancy/ornate place to meet in. The Church/Temple IS the House of God. It's the place where Heaven and Earth meet; where a temporary Eden is created. And through the Holy Eucharist, we are temporarily (and unworthily) in full communion with God and each other. The walls are covered in icons (holy images) as windows into Heaven. The chalice is finely crafted and decorated for the Glory of God. As Orthodox, the Eucharist is truly the Bread of Life; the Body and Blood of Christ. As many un-Orthodox disagree with the fancy chalice, gospels and crosses, please, give your best argument of how Christ's body and blood is unworthy to be held in a fancy chalice.


Okay, okay! I know I might be ranting a little bit. I admit my blood boils a little when things are said that just don't make any sense. I'll admit I'm not always right. I'm only human and I do have my own points of view on certain things. But as an Orthodox, I believe & worship in the fullness of Christianity. 


Sometimes I take it for granted how lucky I am to have been raised in such a raw and authentic Christian experience. Not to discredit Pastor Bob, Larry and Joe, but how many of these "pastors" even went to seminary? How many of them really know the scriptures (and more importantly) how to properly interpret/explain them? In the Orthodox Community, beliefs on all issues are confirmed across the board by our hierarchy and clergy. Naturally, the church is made of imperfect humans, but the Tradition, Truths, Values, Morals, Doctrine, Worship & Theology have not changed. 


Yet, in the Protestant world, how many churches are remotely similar with their interpretations of scripture? How many churches hold fast to homosexuality being a sin? How many churches worship the same way? How many of these Churches seal themselves with the sign of the Cross; the sign of life? How many of these churches have become so relaxed and lenient that they just fall apart? How many of these churches will still thrive for thousands of years?


Friends, I don't wish to discredit anyone of lacking spirituality. I want everyone to strive for spirituality. Although, all too often I see people confusing spirituality with emotionality.


This all being said, I don't think it's fair to say one type of Christianity is better or worse than the other. It's no question that different people need different things. What I'm going to suggest is the concept of a certain Christianity having a 'fullness,' where nothing is lacking. This fullness can be found in Orthodoxy. In a continuation of the fullness of Worship, Theology, Ideology, Dogma and Tradition, the Fullness of the Truth is found in Orthodoxy. 


So, don't get sucked into the concept of having a personal relationship with Christ, which replaces the need for anything other than scripture. Because the more resources us Christians throw out the door (or disregard), the further we get from the Fullness of the Truth.   


Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!


-Michael 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...Well, I Suppose It Means Something.

Open-minded? Closed-minded? Brainwashed? Smart? Stupid?

A Thanksgiving Miracle