Considering Christ

For the past three years, college has been the name of the game. And for the most part I'm not to keen on what it's all about... but that's a topic for another day. However, being away from home does have it's benefits. For starters, I love the independence factor of being away from home. It gives me a sense of being self sufficient and accountable for the decisions I make. Often, I see a parallel between living on my own and being a Christian.

In both instances I'm faced with a fly or die type scenario. Living on my own, I'm forced to make money to pay my bills, I'm forced to do well in school and I'm forced to think before I make any serious decisions. Hard work pays off and stupidity has consequences. The same applies to my Christian life. Daily, I have to hold myself accountable for every thought I think, every word I say and every move I make. And just like the constant distractions of being on my own, I'm constantly faced with distractions in my spiritual life. This is where everything falls into place... in an organized chaos type of way.

In my three years of College, I've struggled with spirituality, prayer, fasting and keeping the commandments. Being in a place surrounded by anti-god everything, it's easy for me to get caught up in wanting to hangout with friends, eat what I want and do what I want, when I want. Here's the issue: "...it's easy for me to get caught up in wanting to hangout with friends, eat what I want and do what I want, when I want." Notice the underlined words; all of them are either about Michael or about "anything." Now it all makes sense!

So what now? Well, all I have to do is stop emphasizing me, and start emphasizing Him. Easier said than done, right? Especially when constantly faced with new ideas, concepts, ways of thinking and constant arousal by music, television, internet and technology. How does one find a balance? Is it possible?

Yes, it's very possible. Stripping down to the most basic way to have a spiritual/Christian life in a secular world is to have a rule of prayer. This consists of giving yourself a doable amount of prayer everyday. Even if it's nothing more than the Jesus prayer, (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me, a sinner). The goal of this is simply to pray. Another great thing to maintain a spiritual/Christian life is to be open about who you are as a Christian and what you believe. Be sure that what you believe is rooted in the teachings of the Church. This includes not just the bible, but also Holy Tradition. From Holy Tradition comes scriptures, doctrine and dogma.

When it's all said and done, there's really no promise one will always remain faithful. We tend to get what we give. I think Yoda says it perfectly, "Do or do not, there is no try." By no means am I saying either be a Christian or don't be. The entire point is that if you want it, then give it all you've got. "Trying" means that we only give 99%. Doing is giving 110% to our struggle to be a decent Christian. In fact, giving our hearts, minds and bodies to Christ is a sacrifice which we can only make willingly. Only through prayer, fasting, confession, the Eucharist, love for each other and , of course, regularly attending Church can we properly prepare ourselves for Christ. Nobody, myself included, is worthy of salvation or Gods love. For we're all sinners, of whom I am the greatest, in a world full of sin. Fortunately, though, God loves us enough that He sent His Son to be brutally beaten, to die, be buried and to resurrect for us. Through the stripes of Christ, we're healed from the sickness of sin. The church is our hospital, and the participation in prayer and the sacraments is our medicine.

Even now, as you're reading this I'm fighting against the temptations and passions of the world; fighting unceasingly against my own demons. Fighting against the negative influences and suggestions in music, on TV and throughout a college campus. I hold my head up keeping in mind the beautiful 16th Chapter of John, verse 33 specifically. Christ has overcome the world, and because of that, we can overcome the world too.

So, consider Christ.

Take some time to explore a life you might not know... or a life you want to re-develope. It's not too late; it's never too late. Remember the thief on the cross, the last thing he stole was salvation. In his final moments of life, Christ was his consideration; Christ was and is his choice.

Consider Christ. Consider Christianity. Christ will make your life more difficult, but you'll receive True Love, Divine Grace, Undefeated Strength and Salvation in return.

Slava Isusu Christu! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Comment Here:::

Popular posts from this blog

...Well, I Suppose It Means Something.

Open-minded? Closed-minded? Brainwashed? Smart? Stupid?

A Thanksgiving Miracle