Ready? Set? Go!

Hello everyone! Just some thoughts I developed while filming a wedding today. Forgive me if it seems scattered. I just wanted to get it out. Be advised: Revisions will happen. For now, enjoy!
__________________________________

3... 2... 1... GO!

The anticipation of a countdown is always an exhilarating one. Whether it's a countdown to start a race, or a countdown till the cookies in the oven are done baking, there's just something about the anticipation of a countdown that gets us excited in some way, shape or form. Sometimes our excitement is in the form of nerves. For example, a dancer preparing to walk on the stage to perform might feel a bit of nervous energy, yet excitement.

In most cases, we as individuals have an idea of what to expect when the "timer runs out." Under the assumption we follow the recipe, we know our cookies will cook and taste delicious. Having rehearsed our dances, we know we will walk out onto the stage and pour our hearts into the dance. Having practiced our hurdle jumps, we can go to the track meet and perform our best. We know our potential and everything we are capable of, based on the investment of preparation.

At the same time, why is it that in those few seconds of the "3... 2... 1... " time seems to stop, nerves reveal themselves and we suddenly experience a "what if?"

What if the cookies don't turn out?
What if I forget my choreography?
What if I fall over a hurdle?

What if? What if? What if?

Why worry about the "what if's" if we've done everything necessary to succeed?

See, this whole attitude and mindset applies to our spiritual life. In even a bigger way, it applies to life in general, not just the specific things. Naturally, I believe there's a point at which all people take a look at themselves and ask the critical question: Am I happy with who I am?

It's never an easy question to answer, primarily because we're our own worst critic.

However, I believe there's a solution to figuring out what we are to ourselves. A way to decide or figure out our self worth. I think it's quite evident that our society places a huge emphasis on "me me me." I've come to find that constantly worrying about "me me me," does the exact opposite of what society claims it will do. Focusing exclusively on ME takes all the focus off of what's important in life. I think if we started to live for each other; being servants of others and attempt to be completely selfless, there would be a dramatic change in the worlds dynamic.

To bring it all full circle, I wholeheartedly believe that striving to live a life of love and selflessness is one of the best ways to know we'll cross the finish line at the end of a race called 'life.' Although we're going to constantly fall short, setting a standard so profound can only lead to becoming a better person through our constant efforts to meet the standard. Without even realizing it, we end up living the gospel instead of just reading it. We end up running the race instead of just talking about it. We end up going from being anxious during the final seconds, to being absolutely sure we prepared ourselves for what's ahead.

So here we are, walking through life. Every year, every month, every day, every hour, every minute, every second; just that much closer to our countdown running out. Just that much closer to our performance on the stage. Just that much closer to our cookies being done. Just that much closer to racing the hurdle jump. Just that much closer to meeting our maker.

The question is: Are we ready?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...Well, I Suppose It Means Something.

A Thanksgiving Miracle

Open-minded? Closed-minded? Brainwashed? Smart? Stupid?